Sunday, January 29, 2012

Gardening


I have begun working on my garden, which has proven to be more of a project than I've anticipated. After the last volunteer at my site left, a tremendous amount of weeds invaded my back yard. Eradicating them has taken several days, but is almost completed now. I was delighted to learn that two pineapple trees are growing there (see top photo), since the pineapple here is the best I have ever had. I will never purchase canned pineapple again after this experience! The ground here is incredibly fertile. I have heard stories of volunteers tossing seeds out their windows and they grow. Rainfall also consistently falls for short periods every day, eliminating the need for watering the crops. Also growing are papaya, island cabbage, and nalailas, the green vegetable I ate with the su-sor (see bottom photo).  I plan to grow eggplant, sweet potato, avocado, garlic, ginger, green peppers, and tomatoes. The women in my host family have been extremely helpful in the weeding process. The men, however, have not. This is common in Vanuatu. Women are forced to conduct much, if not most, of the work while men are lackadaisical. Vanuatu has very little of a women's rights movement at this time, but my hope is that the influence of the Peace Corps will change this.

No comments:

Post a Comment