Sunday, December 11, 2011

Eclipse Over Vanuatu

Last night a lunar eclipse appeared over Vanuatu. We saw it outside a club in Port Vila called Rumors, which I found out later was one of the few that attracted gay patrons. Vanuatu has very few safe havens for queer people, and virtually all of them are in its capital city. A group of volunteers went dancing there. We spent the night dancing with each other, expatriates, and locals. I wanted to take a photo of the eclipse, but it was obscured. The night was still, however, spectacular. It had been a long time since I had been out dancing, and I thrived on the inclusive atmosphere. The locals happily allowed me to dance with them and were genuinely impressed when I told them I was from New York. Dancing is an art that unites all peoples, and last night was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment