Friday, May 18, 2012

Building a Fence With Village Kids




Last week, I gathered five village teenagers to assemble a garden fence. The fence is a necessity for my garden in order to obstruct chickens from transgressing in and eating the seeds. They built it out of bamboo trunks and coconut leaves. I was quite impressed by their expertise and dexterity. I helped by gathering fallen coconut leaves, but it was the youth who did the majority of the work. The fence is now finished. Makina, my host sister, and I have now planted and are cultivating sandalwood, green peppers, two tomato varieties, coriander, bok choy, orange trees, and my favorite, eggplant. The bok choy is already sprouting. Two pumpkin plants and three pineapple trees are already growing.

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog every time you post. It's exciting to see what you're doing in such a different culture. Hope you're enjoying yourself. Your cousin, Bruce Sacks

    ReplyDelete